on Peace Presbyterian Chruch
(From the archives of the New Orleans Public Library)
Second German-Presbyterian Church of New Orleans (1862)
Presently: Peace Presbyterian Church
About the records:
The original records of this congregation (1863-1931) are held by the Presbyterian
Historical Society, in Montreat, North Carolina. The records are not online
and the staff does not do genealogical research, although a local researcher
will do a search for a fee. Microfilmed copies of the records, some of which
are indexed, are available at the following:
Louisiana Division of the New Orleans Public Library:
The microfilms are numbered as GS36-215 and are listed under Claiborne (Second)
Presbyterian, 1863-1931 (New Orleans). See:
Historic New Orleans Collection:
The HNOC describes the records on three reels as follows: “The collection
consists of ledgers recording baptisms, marriages, and deaths (1904-1931); registers
of communicants (1863-1901); registers of pastors (1863-1960), elders (1863-1960),
deacons (1887-1960), and members (1866-1960); and business records (1869-1952).
German and English.”
Additional information about the church:
After its many years on Claiborne Avenue, the congregation moved to the east
side of New Orleans (5919 Morrison Road), and was known as the Claiborne Presbyterian
Church. The church subsequently merged with another congregation, and is now
known as Peace Presbyterian Church, at the same location.
A 40th anniversary, 11-page history, Fortieth anniversary of the Second German
Presbyterian Church, by Ferdinand Otto Koelle (1839-1904), was published in
1903 [sic]. A copy is available in the Tulane Library, Jones Hall Louisiana
Collection. The call number is: 976.31 (285) K81f.
A 50th anniversary, 13-page history, Fiftieth anniversary of the Second German
Presbyterian Church: corner Claiborne Avenue and Allen Street; organized May
24th, 1863, by Theodore F. Hahn, was published in 1913. A copy is available
in the Earl K. Long Library of the University of New Orleans. The call number
is: BX9211.N4 S43.
A 75th-anniversary, 20-page history, Geschichte der Zweiten Deutschen Presbyt.
Kirche, in New Orleans, La., und jubilaums-rede, gehalten an 8, April 1894,
by Ferdinand Otto Koelle (1839-1904), was published in 1897. A copy is available
in the Tulane Library, Jones Hall Louisiana Collection. The call number is:
976.31 (285) K81g.
A 100th-anniversary, 27-page history, Celebrating the one hundredth anniversary,
May 22-26, 1963 : Claiborne Avenue Presbyterian Church, New Orleans, La., by
Warren W. Beale, was published in 1963. A copy is available in the Earl K. Long
Library of the University of New Orleans. The call number is: BX9211.N4 S45.
Other names of this church:
Second German-Presbyterian Church of New Orleans
Claiborne Avenue Presbyterian Church
Claiborne Presbyterian Church
Peace Presbyterian Church
Clergy who served the church (1862-1893):
Johann Heinrich Holländer (1862-1865);
Paul Heuser (1865-1869); F. Otto
Kölle [Koelle] (1869-1893+).
Peace Presbyterian Church is currently affiliated with the Presbyterian Church
Peace Presbyterian Church
5919 Morrison Road
New Orleans, La. 70126
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS INFORMATION IS PRE-HURRICANE KATRINA