Photography by John and Kathleen DeMajo

Houma, Louisiana (Founded 1847)
Exterior of The Cathedral of St. Francis De Sales in Houma, Louisiana, as viewed from Church Street
St. Francis de Sales parish was founded about 1847 by Rev. Z. Leveque. The first Mass was celebrated in the parish courthouse. A permanent church was constructed in 1848. Construction on the present structure was begun in early in 1936. Father August Vandebilt was pastor at the time. Father Vandebilt left a substantial personal fortune to pay off the debts of the church. In 1977, the church underwent major renovation which included raising the sanctuary floor and installation of a new marble pulpit.
Although the original pipe organ casework and facade remain, the church has had an Allen organ for several years. If anyone has information on the original pipe organ in this church, please contact us. We will publish the informaion when it is received.

Return to New Orleans Churchces Index